The Benefits of The Ketogenic Diet
For many, the Ketogenic diet is a marvelous diet that has helped changed many people. What is it though? What are the benefits of it? well, you’re about to find out. This article will give you the lowdown on why people are choosing to go with the ketogenic diet for health reasons, and for overall wellness.
What is the diet?
The diet is simple. It’s a low-carb, high fat diet that’s similar in nature to the Atkins and other diets that specify in lowering your carbs. This one works to drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake, adding fat to it instead. You’ll in turn reach a state called ketosis, and when this happens, you’re burning fat like crazy, turning fat into ketones in the liver, which will give your brain more energy. It also works to reduce your insulin levels, and it’s got many other benefits.
There are different types of ketogenic diets, depending on what you’re going for:
- Standard ketogenic diet where you have very low carb, moderate protein, and high fat, with the ratios being 75/20/5 respectively
- Cyclical ketogenic diet where you have higher carb feeds, typically having five keto days and two high carb days
- Targeted ketogenic where you add carbs when you work out
- High protein ketogenic diet where you do the standard diet, but take out 15% of the fat and add that to protein, so it’s 60% fat/35% protein/5% carbs respectively
Cyclical and targeted ketogenic diets are what are mostly used in bodybuilding and athletes, but you can use any one of them to help better your life.
How it helps the body
How this helps the body is simple. You’ll be producing two things less often.
These two things are actually the main form of energy in most people. But by lowering this, you’re lowering carbs, and will start to use the ketones as a form of energy.
Ketosis, in it of itself, is what the survival state is, but it’s done in a healthy manner and not by starvation. During this, ketones are made, and it uses this energy in order to create a stronger metabolism. You’re not starving yourself, but instead starving the carbohydrates in the body.
But how do you stay full then? That’s where fat comes in. Your body will adapt to using these fats for energy, which in turn will allow you to lose weight, improve your mental health, and also just in general feel great.
But what are the benefits? Well, you’re about to find out, for they’re listed below.
Benefits on the body
The benefits on the body are definitely there, and they are as follows:
- Weight loss
- Lowered blood sugar
- Reducing the risk of diabetes
- Lowering chances of heart conditions
- Builds insulin resistance
- Controls your blood pressure
Probably the biggest benefit is weight loss. Ketosis is using your body fat as energy, and it will also drop your hormone levels as well, literally causing you to only burn fat. That in turn shows that keto has better results than even other diets, especially in comparison to low fat and high carb ones, and it definitely sticks around as well.
With blood sugar, it is naturally lowered cause of what you eat, and if you’re pre-diabetic or already have diabetes, it will lower your insulin resistance, and it better controls your blood sugar as well, which is great.
For blood pressure, it’s been known to lower the bad cholesterol levels that are a part of artery buildup. That is what causes strokes and heart attacks. Low carb high fat diets actually help to better your cholesterol too, and many studies have shown as well that this diet is better than other diets as well.
Finally, it can help with insulin resistance. If you don’t control diabetes, this will build up insulin resistance, causing you to have to take more. This diet will help you lower your insulin levels to a healthy place. Plus, it’s good for just about anyone.
This does marked changes to the body, and without even touching what it does to your energy levels, this proves that the ketogenic diet is one that works.
Benefits on hunger
Hunger and energy are two parts of the same coin, in that if you do the ketogenic diet, your energy levels will drastically change, so that you will take less food to make you feel more energetic. That is because you’re doing the following:
- Adding fats to your diet
- Lowering carbs
- Adding nutritious foods
All three of these things work together, and by adding fats, you won’t be as hungry, which in turn will help you eat less. But, the food you’re putting in your body is good food, so you’ll feel more energized as well throughout the daytime. It also is a very effective way of burning fat, since fat is definitely great fuel. So, you’re feeling your body better energy, which in turn will allow you to have more energy and less hunger.
Fat also makes you feel more satisfied, and you’ll feel longer. This is a very interesting science behind it, and it will certainly help you a lot. If you want more energy, here is how you do it.
Benefits on mood
Your mood can change as well, and some people use this for their improved mental performance. That’s because it does the following:
- Keeps you more focused
- Makes your mental state clearer
- Helps you feel better and happier
Ketones are excellent for the brain. They’re a sort of fuel in it of itself. If you lower your carb intake, it’ll lower those pesky sugar spikes. You’ve experienced those probably, especially if you’re doing great and then, you suddenly feel like garbage and have no energy. That’s because of carbs, and if you increase your intake of fatty acids instead of carbs, you’ll improve your brain function and have lasting benefits.
Benefits on skin and External Beauty
With this diet, it can even help with your external beauty, in that it can enhance it in the following manner:
- Clearing up acne
- Smoothing skin
- Making your skin glow
- Less skin inflammation
The reason why this is the case, is because there is a possible connection between eating a ton of carbs and more acne, and keto starts to take those carbs out of the body. Carbs are sugars, and you’ve probably heard that sugars can cause acne and skin blemishes.
With this, you’ll have smoother skin naturally, and it’s normal to experience dramatic improvements on your skin and the state of it by doing so. However, if you’re wanting to have even cleaner skin, it might be best as well to pair getting rid of dairy too, but of course, that’s totally optional. You don’t have to leave out dairy if you don’t want to.
What do you Eat?
So what do you eat? Well, it depends on how much dedication you want to put into this. If you restrict your carbs more, you’ll reach ketosis faster. Essentially, you’re limiting your carbs from wheats, starches, or fruits. You want carbs from dairy, nuts, and veggies, and that’s about it. Below are some of the foods to eat and not eat when you’re doing the ketogenic diet, but of course you can adjust it to your food needs as well.
- Sugars, whether natural or processed
- Tuber veggies, such as potatoes, essentially starchy veggies
- Fruits that are high in carbs such as apples and oranges
- Grains of any type, whether processed or natural
- Meat such as fish, lamb, eggs, beef, and poultry
- Veggies above ground such as broccoli and cauliflower
- Nuts and seeds such as walnuts and macadamias
- Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and swiss chard
- High fat dairy such as cheeses and high fat cream and butter
- Avocadoes and berries that are low on the glycemic index
- Natural sweeteners that are low-carb
- High fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, saturated fats, and high fat salad dressing
Now, you typically break this down to 70/25/5 respectively, but if you need to adjust to get used to it, do so. But, try to lower your carbs to these levels, since you’ll get better results, and you should definitely work to track your carbs as well.
If you want a much deeper break down of the Keto Diet with Meal Plans, Recipes, Exercise and Routines. Click Here Now to Learn More.
Is it effective?
So is this effective? It can be, but there are a few things to keep in mind to help you reach this in a simpler way, and they are the following:
- Restrict your carbs and get it to as low as 20 grams a day
- Restrict your protein if you’re not doing keto for exercise
- Stop obsessing over fat. You need fat on this diet. If you don’t, you’ll starve and that’ll ruin your metabolism
- Have small snacks filled with protein throughout the day so you don’t have an insulin spike
- Get some exercise in to help regulate blood sugar and weight
- Drink water, especially a gallon or so a day
- Add supplements as needed to the diet. This can help you optimize everything
The nice thing about this, is that if you simply follow the directions of what it says, you’ll be able to reach ketosis. It’s not some sort of strange or gimmicky diet, but rather it’s simple, effective, and it does yield results.